Saturday, February 19, 2011

I like to move it move it - Peanut does not.

It's official! My first blog-post from California...does my font look different? Just kidding. Still the same me :) but for those of you who would like an update on how the move went...Here goes:

Cut to Friday - Move in day is finally here! You'd think I'd be sad, but instead, I wake up thinking that I just can't wait for Sunday (and breakfast w/J Bop). I have been attempting this move for almost a year now (1 year = March 1st), and ever since, I have been living out of boxes without a place to call my own. Don't get me wrong, it's been a great year! BUT, having my own stuff, quiet tv nights, and most of all, no boxes! sounds pretty freakin fantastic. I think most people expected me to give in to my fickle-ness (and I doubted at times), but moving day was officially here, and I just want it to be over!

More than the goodbyes...More than being in California with no friends...What I am dreading most is...MANUAL LABOR! The actual logistics of getting to California with all of my stuff is a complete nightmare to me. Little did I know, this nightmare was about to get worse, and all because of 'sweet' little Peaaa.

The antagonist herself - Before.

I realize earlier this week that yes, Peaaa is slightly large for her carrier, but as long as she fits at all she's good right? Wrong. As I look to see if there are any special rules about arrival time with pets, I see something I seem to've looked over before: Southwest specifically says that dogs not only have to be able to fit in their carrier, but they also have to be able to stand up and turn around in it, or they will not be allowed on the plane. Cue Crisis #1. I immediately call Austin to calm me down, and while he confirms that this has been an issue for him before traveling with Max and Belle, we come up with a plan that can't fail...I'll just lie and be really convincing about it (oh, and drug Peanut early enough to where she is calm in the process and doesn't give me away).
All is going according to plan. I'm all packed up in the car, I drug Peanut, and she takes the Benadryl in cheese like it's a real treat. An hour goes by, and just when I get all excited that the drugs are working, I try to put her in her carrier to head to the airport. Cue Crisis #2. She is NOT going in there. This is my first hint that Benadryl is not going to work. After a few moments of wrestling Peaaa, I eventually win, but she is now miserable in her little cage and probably hates me more than ever. This sucks...and breaks my heart, but I must. keep. going.

We get to the airport, to the Southwest kiosk, and it's time to check her in. I strategically hide Peaaa behind the counter to minimize the amount of time the worker can see her size issue, but Peanut has a plan all her own. Whereas mine was to get her on the plane and past security as quickly as possible, Peaaa's is apparently to call for help and hope that animal services will come arrest me. I'm happy to say she didn't win, but I'm not going to declare victory for myself either. 

Good thing pictures don't have sound.

As we stand in line, Peaaa begins making the most terrible noises you have ever heard. Crisis #3. They don't even sound dog-like, and she generates quite the buzz from those around us. At one point she even knocks her carrier over on its side because she is bucking her little heart out on the inside. Maybe she has enough space in there after all? The Southwest lady is now much less concerned with the space issue, but more about the mental health of the dog inside. She gives Peaaa her ticket, but truthfully, it's obvious she'd do anything to save her ears from the terrible shrieks and commotion Peaaa is making. This scene is now officially making her look bad too since we are at her kiosk. She rushes us away with ticket in hand. Whatever. I'll take it! Home free...Until security. 

Now that we have our ticket, I just have to put Peaaa's carrier through the Xray and carry her through the metal detector. It's that easy, right? -- On a side note, if you don't like the new Rape-a-Scan machine (Rapiscan is the official name), then taking a dog is a great alternative. I didn't even get a pat-down! -- The lady at the other side of the belt even offers to hold the cage still for me to put Peanut back in, but I inform her that this is going to be less than pretty, so she carries my stuff off to the side for me. Little did I know how opposite of pretty this would truly be. Peaaa is definitely NOT going back in this time. Crisis #4...here we go. This time she is determined and naked. I attempt to forcefeed her more Benadryl, but she's not having it. Not only does she beat me in this game, but she also makes me accidentally put my knee down on the square of cheese, which comes into play in just a minute. Just as I have about got her forced in and half-zipped, Peanut goes one more hard push and bursts out of the top of the cage...Then, she make a run for it. I am now chasing Peaaa through security with cheese pressed on my jeans, and if people weren't watching me before, now they are.

I catch Peaaa after about 10-15 long seconds, which feels like an hour. For those of you who think I don't get embarrassed, this one definitely did the trick. Once I catch her, I still have to get her back in her carrier, and needless to say, it was an abusive scene. At this point, I don't even care. Just get me to my gate. Give me a tranquilizer gun. Anything. We sit down, and Peaaa begins more of her drama. I guess this is what the mom on board with the crying baby feels like...Or ar least she should. Being the caring mother that I am, I put a jacket over her cage and pretend I don't notice as I endure angry looks from everyone at the gate (who secretly hopes they aren't sitting near me). B34. Looks like where I sit isn't even up to me!
Look at all that leg space!
After what was definitely the longest flight of my life (yes, longer than Europe and even Hawaii), Peanut and I land in sunny San Diego with a landing that even Mika would give a 7 or 8. Only thing is, it's pouring rain. You win some you lose some, and at this point, I don't even care. The day is over, or at least the travel piece, Peaaa is released from jail. It's time for some Peruvian food and live band with Pops. Peaaa is still facing issues today, but we are making progress. For those of you familiar with Lifetime movies, sorry for the abrupt ending, but I realized this has gotten way too lengthy for your own good. More later! 

Peaaa promptly christened her new yard. The end.








2 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud at several points whilst reading this entry. Thank you for painting such a dramatic picture of your departure from Nashville. I'll admit to being mildly happy that the fates didn't make your journey smooth and easy. That's what you get for moving and angering so many people. I AM, however, happy that you eventually arrived safely. More blog entries please (it's not like you have any friends to keep you busy). THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hhaha oh bear. This made my whole morning...really. So glad you and Peaa made it safe and sound. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete